(707) 874-2426 ext. 632
Director of School Programs
Tuesday, May 7, 2019
Westminster Woods Camp and Conference Center is located on 200 acres of redwood forest in the coastal hills of Western Sonoma County, California. During the school year, we provide multiday environmental and science education in addition to character development (challenge course) programing for students primarily in grades five through eight. Our environmental programing focuses on coastal redwood ecosystems, stream ecology, marine ecology and stewardship. Our School Programs mission is to foster the development of character, community, and science literacy in students through experiential outdoor education. Our School Programs Department has grown substantially over the last decade and now annually serves more than 6,000 program participants from a wide variety of schools, representing a $1.6 M revenue stream. In addition to these programs, Westminster Woods hosts guest retreats, conferences, and ministry programs throughout the year.
Westminster Woods seeks a mature, seasoned environmental educator with strong team leadership skills and solid experience in administrative functions. This individual will work closely with our Challenge Course Manager and School Programs Logistics Coordinator.
SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS
1) Setting the vision and direction of the School Programs department
2) Overseeing the business strategy of School Programs
• Developing and implementing departmental sales and marketing materials
• Creating and implementing annual department budget, including departmental revenue, payroll, expenses, and contributions
3) Building and developing the School Programs team
• Hiring, training, scheduling, and supervising department staff
• Creating meaningful community, empowered leadership, and competent staff skillsets through effective use of seasonal, regular, and daily staff training and professional development
• Coordinating and performing regular staff evaluations, peer evaluations, and performance reviews, and providing effective feedback to staff
• Working closely with department coordinators and other Westminster Woods employees
• Verifying and approving department payroll/time cards
• Implementing Emergency Action Plans in times of crisis management
4) Developing relevant and cutting edge programming in line with changing school needs
5) Developing partnerships with local, state and national organizations to further the field of environmental education
• Attend local and regional workshops to increase Westminster Woods’ visibility as a leading environmental education provider
6) Collaborating with other department heads to fulfill the larger mission of Westminster Woods
• Assisting in developing forms and documents, emergency action plans and risk management procedures, and program information
• Strong background in environmental education program administration
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent computer skills; proficient in MS Office Suite
• Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management
• Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
• Budget development and oversight experience
• A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
• Excels at operating in a fast-paced community environment
• Excellent people manager
• Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization while maintaining collegiality
• Ability to look at situations from several points of view
• Ability to delegate responsibilities effectively
• Commitment to inclusiveness and diversity
• Conversational Spanish a plus
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, outdoor education, recreation management, or a related field. Advanced degree preferred.
• Minimum of three years’ experience delivering environmental education
• Minimum of two years’ experience managing a team of staff
• CPR, First Aid, and AED certification must be obtained within 30 days of hire. Advanced medical certifications preferred (WFA, WFR, WEMT, EMT)
To Apply: Please Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Include “SPD application” and “your last name” in the subject line. Applications accepted until May 31st.
Westminster Woods values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome all backgrounds, abilities, cultures, orientations, identities, and communities.
This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal leadership role in an industry leading experiential outdoor education program. Regular, full time, exempt. Compensation Range: $50,000-$60,000 commensurate with experience. Plus additional benefits including 4 weeks of vacation, sick and holiday paid time off, exceptional medical, dental and vision benefits.