Education Specialist -- MGP
Monday, June 25, 2018
Audubon Canyon Ranch
ACR is seeking TWO Education Specialists -- One in Glen Ellen and one in Stinson Beach.
The Education Specialist designs, implements, delivers, and supports ACR’s nature-based education programs and conducts, supports, and coordinates community outreach, volunteer recruitment, and volunteer retention for ACR’s education programs. The Education Specialist is a member of the ACR Education Programs Team and reports to the Director of Education. This is a full-time position (37.5 hours per week) based out of the Martin Griffin Preserve (MGP) Administrative Offices.
PROGRAM DESIGN & IMPLEMENTATION. ACR’s Education Specialist supports the design, planning, and delivery of ACR education programs, especially focusing on those based at the Martin Griffin Preserve, including:
• Martin Griffin Preserve School Program – Serves as active member of School Programs Committee; assists with program scheduling & logistics; provides docent support; develops, improves, and standardizes curriculum materials and teaching supplies. Serves as a staff liaison to MGP Docent Council.
• Docent Training – Serves as active member of Docent Training Committee; assists with design, planning and implementation of training and advanced training; develops, revises, oversees distribution of docent training binder and manual; develops and presents training and advanced training courses. Serves as lead instructor/coordinator for California Naturalist Certificate program.
• Nature Guide / MGP Public Season Program – Serves as active member of the Nature Guide Council; designs, administers, and directs Nature Guide activities including Nature Guide training and field trips; coordinates planning and logistics; revises training materials; sources and maintains supplies. Works closely with Weekend Program Coordinator to facilitate Public Season activities.
• Conservation Science Intensive – Year One: Works with interim CSI program director to design and administer annual 5-day residential conservation science summer camp and related activities. Year Two onward: Co-Directs CSI program.
• Public Events – Works with Preserve Manager to coordinate and staff public programs; coordinates docents and youth leaders.
• Serves as core leadership team member for, Lincoln School Birding and Nature Fest, School Programs Video Project, and other core education projects.
• Maintains knowledge of best practices in field-based conservation education; provides pedagogical mentoring and support to ACR staff and volunteers; develops and delivers educational training classes and written support materials.
• Serves as a leader in programmatic health and safety, ensuring that first aid supplies are adequate and available, policies and procedures are clear to volunteers and staff, training is available to staff and volunteers. Maintains current first aid & CPR certification, remains current in health & safety best practices, and serves as a resource to staff and volunteers.
• Collaborates with ACR staff and volunteers to develop, maintain, and coordinate ongoing education volunteer outreach, recruitment, and retention.
• Works with ACR staff to develop and implement new programs designed to broaden outreach and program participation at Martin Griffin Preserve and surrounding communities.
PROGRAM EVALUATION. Working with education staff, Education Specialist designs and distributes survey tools that track key demographics and learner outcomes for Docent Training, Advanced Training, School Programs, Juniper Training and other program. Completes written overview of key findings for internal distribution and for use with current and potential funders.
COMMUNICATIONS. Works with ACR staff and volunteers to facilitate clear, accurate, and professional internal and external communication regarding education programs and projects by
• Collaborates with ACR staff and volunteers to develop, maintain, and coordinate ongoing volunteer outreach, recruitment, and retention.
• Works with ACR staff to develop and implement new programs designed to broaden outreach and participation at Martin Griffin Preserve and surrounding communities.
• Works with ACR staff to streamline, maintain, and report Education Programs metrics, including program evaluation.
• Constructs and monitors budgets for education programs and projects.
DEVELOPMENT. Education Specialist supports foundation fundraising efforts by contributing content to grant proposals and reports.
OTHER DUTIES as assigned.
ACR offers competitive salary, medical and dental coverage, vacation and sick leave, and 403(b) contribution. Desired start date is August 27, 2018.
TO APPLY: Applications must be submitted by email no later than July 15, 2018. Send cover letter, resume, and 1000 word writing sample (article, report, or proposal) to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for Education Specialist.”
If you have questions about the position or ACR, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.