Health Care Supervisor at Loma Mar
Friday, February 9, 2018
Loma Mar, CA
Exploring New Horizons is committed to educating and empowering children to make thoughtful, conscious, and sustainable choices for themselves and the environment. By providing children rich educational opportunities to safely explore the natural, un-plugged world, we foster a sense of adventure and love of learning while encouraging children to creatively envision and work together towards a positive future. The Health Care Supervisor performs a variety of health care activities involved in administering first aid, dispensing medications and providing medical treatment and emergency care services to students enrolled in the Exploring New Horizons Outdoor Education program. The Health Care Supervisor will also assist in administrative duties in the office, working closely with the Program Coordinator and Program Director.
* Perform a variety of health care activities involved in administering first aid, dispensing medications and providing medical treatment and emergency care services to students enrolled in the Outdoor Education program. Screen and evaluate medical conditions of students; examine students and identify illnesses, injuries and medical emergencies; provide treatment and administer first aid and emergency medical care as necessary; coordinate response to emergency situations.
* Dispense medications to students according to physician instructions; maintain medication logs and records; review student medical forms to verify completeness and identify student health care needs; implement services to assure health care needs are being met.
* Counsel students concerning health care, personal and other issues as directed; assist students by answering questions, providing proper examples, emotional support, friendly attitude and general guidance.
* Be an administrator on call for two evenings a week in case of emergencies or other needs that may arise
* Monitor students with specialized health conditions and dietary needs; assure students receive adequate medical services to assure optimal health; advise students, parents and staff concerning special medical and dietary needs among students. Prepare and maintain various records, reports and files related to students, treatment, accidents and assigned activities. Communicate with Program Director, staff and parents to exchange information and resolve issues or concerns.
* Communicate with the YMCA regarding any dietary restrictions and supplements for participating students and/or teachers.
* Monitor and maintain adequate inventory levels of first aid and emergency medical supplies; order, receive and assure proper storage of supplies. Manage annual medical supply budget.
* Maintain the health office and other work areas in a clean, orderly, sanitary and safe condition.
* Perform related duties as assigned.
* Current advanced First Aid and CPR certifications from an authorized organization. This could include EMT, WFR, or other advanced certification.
* At least 2 years familiarity of residential outdoor school programming.
* At minimum, a Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience
* Ability to physically navigate over 5 miles of rocky terrain.
* Ability to work in a variety of inclement weather including (but not limited to) rain, sleet, mud and wind.
* Willingness to work a flexible work week on an annual basis.
* Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
* Ability to manage multiple tasks at one time.
* Experience and capability to assessing and managing crisis situations.
* Ability to lift 40 lbs.
* Capability to communicate thoughtfully and completely in both written and spoken forms.
* Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record.
* Ability to follow and implement organizational risk management procedures, medication procedures and health care practices.
* Possess organizational skills to manage necessary documentation, and required record keeping.
* Position carries risk of exposure to blood-borne pathogens and bodily fluids. Documented experiencing managing this risk in a positive manner.
* Staff must have clean TB test prior to employment
* Additional pay is given for a current Teaching credential, a MS/MA in a related field, more than 2 years experience as a naturalist in an outdoor education program
$100 per day depending on experience
Medical and Dental Insurance
Room and Board through work year
Full Time hours during program weeks