Marine Science Camp Counselor
Sunday, February 10, 2019
Marine Science Institute (MSI) is a non-profit environmental education organization offering year-round hands-on programs that excite and enlighten students about science. MSI’s educational programs provide engaging and interactive adventures with San Francisco Bay Area marine life that impact students of all ages, inspiring respect and stewardship for the marine environment. During summer MSI offers Marine Science Camp – a unique and exciting week-long day camp for K-8th graders to learn about marine habitats and animals and explore their connection to the natural world. Camp activities include live animal touching, themed hands-on lessons and activities, field trips to local habitats and much more.
We are seeking qualified Marine Science Camp Counselors for nine weeks of summer camp sessions, plus training time. As a Counselor you will work collaboratively with Instructors, other Counselors and Volunteers to deliver engaging marine science programs and supervise campers during all camp activities. Group ratio is 1 Instructor + 1 Counselor per 16 campers. MSI is located in Redwood City, CA on the San Francisco Bay. This is a paid position; housing is not provided.
Job type: Full-time, seasonal position, May 29-August 9, 2019
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8-10 hours per day
Marine Science Camp Counselor Position Responsibilities:
- Under supervision of the Instructional Staff, Counselors will:
- Inspire excitement, personal achievement and cooperation in campers
- Assist Instructors in the overall supervision of campers
- Help lead activities, games, arts and crafts, and songs
- Aid in providing an understanding of marine topics
- Properly handle live marine organisms and artifacts
- Chaperone field trips
- Maintain a clean and organized teaching environment through daily tasks and inventory of supplies
- Organize and supervise extended care activities at MSI for up to 2 weeks of the summer
- Support camper check-in and check-out processes
- Interact and communicate with camp families during drop-off and pick-up
- Support the training and development of Volunteers
- Possess current CPR and First Aid certification (must be obtained by the first day of training)
- Minimum of a high school diploma
- Ability to pass a background check
- Reliable transportation is a must; the facility is not easily accessible by public transit
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, self-motivation, and leadership skills highly desired
- Must enjoy working with children
- Willingness to get wet and muddy in the field
- Experience working at a camp or working with children is helpful
- Physically able to work outdoors for long periods of time
- Be able to frequently bend, reach, kneel and carry objects up to 30 pounds
To apply please submit a cover letter, 1-page resume and an Employment Application Form (from our website) to the e-mail address in this posting.
Starting Counselors $13.50/hour during camp sessions June 10-August 9; paid training $11.50-$13.50/hour (commensurate upon experience) May 29-June 7. Housing is not provided.