Marine Science Camp Instructor
Sunday, February 10, 2019
Marine Science Institute (MSI) is a non-profit environmental education organization offering year-round hands-on programs that excite and enlighten students about science. MSI’s educational programs provide engaging and interactive adventures with San Francisco Bay Area marine life that impact students of all ages, inspiring respect and stewardship for the marine environment. During summer MSI offers Marine Science Camp – a unique and exciting week-long day camp for K-8th graders to learn about marine habitats and animals and explore their connection to the natural world. Camp activities include live animal touching, themed hands-on lessons and activities, field trips to local habitats and much more.
We are seeking qualified Marine Science Camp Instructors for nine weeks of summer camp sessions, plus training time. As an Instructor you will work collaboratively with other Instructors, Counselors and Volunteers to deliver engaging marine science programs and supervise campers during all camp activities. Group ratio is 1 Instructor + 1 Counselor per 16 campers. MSI is located in Redwood City, CA on the San Francisco Bay. This is a paid position; housing is not provided.
Job type: Full-time, seasonal position, May 29 - August 9, 2019 (additional training dates to ship crew required in April/May). Possible extension in the Fall.
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8-10 hours per day
Marine Science Camp Instructor Position Responsibilities:
- Inspire excitement, personal achievement and cooperation in campers
- Supervise campers and monitor their safety at MSI, during field trips, and as crew aboard MSI's 90-foot research vessel
- Provide an understanding of marine science topics such as adaptations, local habitats, food webs, and human impact
- Implement lesson plans and lead activities, games and songs to your team of up to 16 campers
- Evaluate and supplement current curriculum
- Properly handle live marine organisms and artifacts
- Maintain a clean and organized teaching environment through daily tasks and inventory of supplies
- Organize and supervise extended care activities at MSI for up to 2 weeks of the summer
- Support camper check-in and check-out processes
- Interact and communicate with camp families during drop-off and pick-up
- Support the training and development of Camp Counselors and Volunteers
- Complete training as deck hand for research vessel (additional training dates required)
- BA or BS in environmental science, marine science, biology or related field; or commensurate experience with MSI programs
- Possess current CPR and First Aid certification (must be obtained by the first day of training)
- Able to pass a background check
- Able to pass standard drug testing as a requirement to crew the ship
- Reliable transportation is a must; the facility is not easily accessible by public transit
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, self-motivation, and leadership skills highly desired
- Willingness to get wet and muddy in the field
- Must enjoy working with children
- Experience working at a camp or working with children
- Possess strong classroom and behavioral management skills
- Physically able to stand for long periods of time and work outdoors
- Be able to frequently bend, reach, kneel and carry objects up to 30 pounds
To apply please submit a cover letter, 1-page resume and an Employment Application Form (from our website) to the e-mail address in this posting.
Starting Instructors $17.00/hour during camp sessions June 10-August 9; paid training $15.00/hour May 29-June 7; additional paid training for ship crew in April/May. Housing is not provided.