Monday, January 7, 2019
Daytime or Evening Naturalist
4th grade Gold Rush/Living History Program
Coloma Outdoor Discovery School (CODS) has been providing a variety of outdoor education programs since 1990. Our residential program offers public and private school students a 1-4 day experience in California Gold Rush history, Science, and Ropes Challenge Programs. Our campus is located on the banks of the South Fork of the American River in the town of Coloma, California.
Our program has an excellent reputation for employing professional naturalists who are excellent role models, teachers, and well-educated individuals. The daytime naturalist position is available seasonally—from January thru June, and September thru November—with the option to return the following season.
• Educating, supervising, and empowering 4th grade students enrolled in the Gold Rush/Living History program.
• Initiate learning in many formats: at meals, in the field, on the trail, and in large (75+) or small
(12-16 students) groups.
• Commitment to personal development of teaching skills and background knowledge of subject areas.
• Promote positive communication among staff, students, teachers, and parent counselors.
• Model environmentally sustainable behavior and ethics.
• Regularly manage teaching supplies and equipment.
• Collaborate with other naturalists and Program Director to continually upgrade academic and logistic aspects of program.
• BA or BS in the field of education, science, history or related experience (required for daytime positions)
• Minimum of 6 months experience teaching in the classroom or at an outdoor education facility
• Current CPR and First Aid certification (online certification does not apply)*
• Current California Food Handler certification*
• General knowledge of the developmental needs and behavior of 4th grade students
• Ability to conduct skits, songs and/or stories in front of large groups
• Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with others
• Excellent communication skills
• Enjoy the company of children ages 9 to adult
• Love working outdoors—rain or shine
• Creative, fun, and energetic!
• Physically fit
• Knowledge of California history, the Sierra Nevada foothills, and/or climbing protocols desirable
*May be acquired after hire.
Position is non-exempt. Starting pay: $15.00-15.50/hour depending on education.
Employees may be eligible for retirement benefits after 4 to 12 months of employment.
Some meals provided for our naturalist staff.
Full-time, Part-time and substitute positions available.