(415) 331-9622 ext. 4480
Outdoor Education Coordinator
Wednesday, January 9, 2019
Marin Headlands, Sausalito, CA
Point Bonita YMCA is seeking qualified candidates for the Outdoor Education Coordinator (OEC). the OEC is responsible for the general organization, direction, supervision, and ongoing development of the Outdoor Education Program and all related programming, under the direction, and with the assistance of, the Director of Outdoor Education. The Coordinator is one of the primary contact points for Outdoor Education schools that are in residence at Point Bonita and coordinates a variety of environmental education programs, teacher education programs, and visits by naturalists to schools and other YMCAs. The OEC assists with evaluation of programs and participant satisfaction and designs program changes in response to feedback. The Outdoor Education Coordinator will assist with hiring, training, and developing staff.
Point Bonita YMCA values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to diversify our workforce and seek applications by individuals from all backgrounds, abilities, cultures, orientations, identities, and communities.
• Assist with hiring, training and scheduling outdoor education staff. Engage and supervise volunteers.
• Keep training and certifications up to date for all assigned staff and volunteers.
• Develop curricula and teaching materials.
• Keep metrics on program participation and participant satisfaction and produce all required reports.
• Contribute to and coordinate the marketing and outreach efforts of the Outdoor Education program.
• Ensure questions and concerns from the public are responded to promptly.
• Assist with running variance reports and budgeting as needed.
• Develop proposals for funding to support programs.
• Perform and demonstrate leadership in all essential functions of the Naturalists.
• Demonstrate the Character Counts values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility in all dealings with members, guests, volunteers and fellow staff.
• Demonstrate competencies in and willingness to develop in the Cause Driven Leadership areas of mission advancement, collaboration, operational effectiveness and personal growth.
• Uphold YMCA policies for safety, supervision, mandated reporting and risk management.
• Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
• Perform all other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
• Minimum of 21 years of age.
• A minimum of 12 units of education, natural sciences, recreation or related field.
• Baccalaureate degree preferred.
• The regular schedule is determined by program needs; the Outdoor Education Coordinator may be required to provide coverage for any program including some nights and weekends.
• Experience working with youth, teens, and adults, including at least three years in Outdoor and/or Environmental Education required.
• Prior leadership or program coordination experience required preferably in outdoor education or related field.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency with Outlook, Excel and Word.
• Monitoring of program data and report writing experience preferred.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and to work collaboratively as part of a team.
• Ability to remain calm in challenging situations.
• Bilingual Spanish language skills preferred.
• Prior curriculum development experience preferred.
• Wilderness First Aid, CPR, and AED certificates required. Wilderness First Responder preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the ability to respond swiftly in an emergency situation.
• Ability to adequately observe participants’ activities and enforce safety regulations.
• Position regularly requires the ability to do word processing and data entry for several hours at a time.
• Position may require, sitting, bending, leaning and kneeling on an occasional basis.
• Position requires the ability to walk on hills and uneven terrain continuously for at least three miles.
• Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds in order to perform essential functions.
• Must have the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
• All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon fingerprint clearance.
Application Deadline: 2-01-19
- Paid training days and sick pay
- Full-time hires can elect to receive a comprehensive benefits plan including: medical, dental, and vision; retirement; and paid vacation
- Shared housing
- The opportunity to live and grow in a spectacular location with an amazing community