Tuesday, November 5, 2019
The Wildwoods Foundation is seeking passionate and experienced educators to deliver a water conservation education program to schoools in the greater LA area. Once trained, applicants are assigned programs based on school reservations. Please Note: This is a part-time job.
A Drop in the Bucket is a water conservation education program serving Los Angeles schools, grades 4 - 8. The program is offered free to all schools via a mobile unit that delivers the program to schools campuses, as well as at the Vista Hermosa Park in downtown Los Angeles.
• Enjoy working with children.
• Possess excellent group facilitation and group management skills.
• Be available to work near downtown Los Angeles, anytime Monday -- Friday, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
• Have experience conducting outdoor or environmental education programs with elementary school aged children, and/or experience conducting similar programs with families and groups.
• Have knowledge and understanding of basic scientific principles, especially ecology and regional habitats.
• Be comfortable with active, physical work outdoors.
• Have a professional manner with clientele (teachers and parents).
• Submit to and pass a background check.
• Provide references upon request.
• Have reliable access to transportation. (Bikes don't count. Sorry.)
• Be flexible and comfortable with last-minute schedule changes.
• Have reliable access to email and cell phone.
• A clean driving record is required for assignments that require use of company vehicles.
Responsibilities: Instructors will be responsible for the delivery of a 90-120 minute educational program for elementary school classes and families about water in Southern California. Instructors will be responsible for the maintenance of all program supplies and materials and will notify Program Coordinator of any needed re-stocking or repair.
• Applicants should have a minimum of 2 years of teaching experience and/or experience leading groups at camps, outdoor schools or similar settings.
• Applicants should have interpretive (as a naturalist or docent) or formal environmental education experience with elementary and middle-school aged children.
• Applicants should have experience leading cooperative and team-building games and experiential education activities.
• Applicants should have an understanding of Earth Sciences at the elementary and middle-school levels.
• Applicants should also possess knowledge of regional environmental and socio-economic/eco-justice issues.
• Applicants should possess the ability to adhere to a written curriculum and maintain program continuity as well as the ability to accurately pace program activities and stick to a set schedule.
• Spanish language skills are helpful.
• Familiarity with systems thinking is attractive.
• All applicants reaching the interview process will be required to submit to a background check.
Duration: This is a part-time job. The shortest of workdays, including program set-up and clean up, is at least 4 hours. Most assignments occur during the school day. There are a few afterschool and weekend assignments available, if desired. Programs continue through the end of the school year (June 2020).
Location: Our offices are south of downtown Los Angeles, however "report to" destinations may be anywhere in the greater Los Angeles region.
Qualified applicants should respond with cover letter and résumé (detailing relevant past experience) via email addressed to Program Coordinator at Drop@WildwoodsFoundation.org.
Position is open if post is active.
Only people selected for interviews will be contacted. All resumes received will be held on file for consideration for 12 months from date of receipt. Inquiries from direct applicants only preferred - no recruiters or phone calls please.
Please note: The Wildwoods Foundation is a project of Community Partners, a non-profit, public benefit 501c(3) corporation, and operates as an equal opportunity employer. This job description is general in nature and is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of the position.