Instructor & Caretaker
Friday, February 9, 2018
San Gregorio, CA
Vida Verde Instructor Position ’18-‘19 with Camp Caretaker Work
Vida Verde is a nonprofit that promotes educational equity by providing free, overnight, environmental learning experiences for students who don’t otherwise get the opportunity.
Vida Verde has a long history of achieving remarkable results through its mission-driven organization and high-quality programs delivered free of charge, for 4th-6th grade low-income youth of color. We are a small, tightly-knit, exciting organization. Our jobs are the BEST, and so are the people who work here!
The instructor position is great for experienced naturalists or teachers. We are looking for someone who: wants to be challenged and work hard towards educational equity, and who can handle a lot of responsibility and many details. This is not an internship program. The position is best suited for a swift, driven, positive, “can-do” worker who is capable of both independent & collaborative work.
This is a full-time, school-year position
Program Work is three consecutive & long days per week (Tues-Thurs)
▪ Weekly camp preparation, setup, maintenance and tidying, cleanup/takedown
▪ Manage Student groups to success! Create an awesome space and team each week with all 30 high potential human beings!
▪ Instruction includes teaching 6 core programs: (1) Goat Milking & Cheese Making (2) Redwood Hike (3) Tidepool, Marsh & Beach Exploration (4) Organic Farm
Activities (5) Campfire (6) Night Hike
▪ Manage mealtime and lead cooking with kids. Lead games, participate in decision-making, facilitate conflict resolution, manage first aid, and general troubleshooting.
▪ Maintain Current Commercial Class C License with Passenger Endorsement and Drive 20-passenger shuttle bus
o Outside of Program Work, typically Mondays and Fridays:
▪ Participate in weekly, half-day student management workshops
▪ Participate in and prepare for fundraisers, other donor events, and site work days.
▪ Teambuilding and communication: attend staff meetings & professional development, keep up with staff communications
▪ Site Maintenance work with garden, grounds, teepees, trails, vehicles, animals, etc. (guidance provided)
▪ Each weekend one instructor is on animal/greenhouse duty for about 3 hours/weekend, on a rotating basis (1 weekend per month)
o Term of Work: August 22, 2018 – June 8th, 2019
▪ The program operates during the school year from Sept-Nov & Jan–June with about 31 weeks of program.
▪ In addition to program work there are work weeks with instructor training, the 3 weeks around the annual fundraiser and site caretaker work.
▪ There is some time off in late Dec/early Jan and one week in March
Qualifications of a strong applicant
o Inspired by and committed to The Mission
o Strong student group management skills
o Outdoor education work experience and/or classroom teaching experience
o Experience working with low-income populations
o Desire to work in a small values-driven nonprofit organization
o Love of children, teaching & the outdoors
o Positive attitude, committed to excellence, great communicator, full of integrity
o Versatile and organized
o Current Class C Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger Endorsement
o First Aid/CPR Certification and/or W.F.R. Handy
o Guitar player or other campfire instrument Bilingual (Spanish & English)
o 1st year regular pay is $10.50 per hour (38-45 hours/week; approx $420/week) PLUS housing.
o 401K retirement plan with annual 5% employer match (vested over 5 years)
o Large private bedroom in beautiful yurt or in three-bedroom house, both with closet, storage space, washer/dryer, and a shared living room/kitchen. Access to community hot tub, trail, and creek, in a secluded rural setting.
o Group Health, Dental & Vision Insurance coverage options with $200 monthly contribution by Vida Verde
o 6 meals per 3-day program
o Pro deals/deep discounts (Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Prana, Smartwool, etc.)
o 6-day Training Week with Stipend
o Bioneers Conference (Volunteer work trade pass, Campsite & Transportation)