Friday, May 17, 2019
Boulder Creek, California
We are looking for Naturalist 1 candidates for our 2019-2020 school year.
The Naturalist 1 position is an entry level position designed to help you develop your skills in field teaching, garden education and cabin supervision. Our Naturalist 1's work with mentor Naturalists, participate in in-service trainings throughout the year and develop a well-rounded understanding of the various aspects of Outdoor Education.
YMCA Camp Campbell is located in Boulder Creek, CA in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
Naturalists plan, prepare, and implement an integrated science curriculum in a residential setting. This curriculum emphasizes basic principles of conservation biology, fosters environmental awareness, emulates YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and targets the next generation science standards. Naturalists lead groups of fifth and sixth grade students from diverse backgrounds through a 4-day learning experience that is appropriately adapted to the needs of the group and seasonal climate. Naturalists are assigned to work with 2-6 volunteers a week and provide an evaluation of the volunteer. Naturalists share in a variety of camp and program related duties on a rotational basis, including running of meals, orientations, recreational programs/activities, and evening duties.
1. BA or BS preferably in the field of science or environmental studies.
2. Model the values of the YMCA of Silicon Valley and the individual worth of children.
3. CPR and First Aid certified (can be obtained upon hire)
4. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with students, staff, teachers, and parents from diverse backgrounds.
5. Must have good decision making skills, and the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
6. Background in natural sciences, garden education, environmental and recreational activities, or child development is preferred.
7. Must have general knowledge of needs and behavior of school age children.
8. Bilingual in Spanish/English is preferred.
9. Must have general knowledge of needs and behavior of school age children.
1. Upholds the rules, policies, code of conduct, and traditions of YMCA Camp Campbell.
2. Serve as a good role model in personal language, appearance, communication skills, and health habits to volunteers and participants.
The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
3. Supervise children at all times; lives in a cabin with participants as assigned.
4. Develop interpretive field activities in a variety of ecosystems.
5. Ensure that all activities are safe, fun and age appropriate.
6. Redirect participants’ behavior positively and effectively.
7. Attend all mandatory trainings, workshops and staff meetings.
8. Facilitate the development of an awareness and appreciation of the natural environment.
9. Conduct all assigned tasks in an accurate and timely manner.
10. Host and supervise large group programming.
11. Ability to adapt all lessons to meet the physical and behavioral needs of all students.
12. Exemplify and monitor good stewardship of facilities.
13. Conduct natural science lessons establishing and utilizing responsive teaching techniques.
14. Conduct ongoing training and supervision of cabin leaders.
15. Provide oral and written evaluations of cabin leader performance
16. Will perform duties of a cabin leader staff several weeks a month: including training volunteers on Mondays and staying overnight in cabins with students for 3 nights and 4 days at a time.
17. Assist the Garden Coordinator in care and upkeep of organic garden, aquaponics system, green house and orchards. Lead students and volunteer Cabin Leaders in Garden Lessons aligned with Next Generation Science Standards.
$550/week plus rustic housing and partial board. Health, vision and dental insurance offered; accrue paid sick and vacation time.