(530) 621-2298 ext. 312
Monday, March 9, 2020
Coloma Outdoor Discovery School (CODS) has been providing a variety of outdoor education programs since 1990. Our residential program offers public and private school students a 1-4 day experience in California Gold Rush History, Science, and Ropes Challenge Programs. Our campus is located on the banks of the South Fork of the American River in the town of Coloma, California. Our program has an excellent reputation for employing professional naturalists who are excellent role models, teachers, and well-educated individuals.
We are currently looking for people that can work part time Monday- Friday in our daytime program (Typical hours 8:30-4:30, with some variation)
• Educating, supervising, and empowering students enrolled in the any of our programs.
• Initiate learning in many formats: at meals, in the field, on the trail, and in large (75+) or small (12-16 students) groups.
• Commitment to personal development of teaching skills and background knowledge of subject areas.
• Promote positive communication among staff, students, teachers, and parent counselors.
• Model environmentally sustainable behavior and ethics.
• Regularly manage teaching supplies and equipment.
• Collaborate with other naturalists and organization leaders to continually upgrade academic and logistic aspects of program.
• BA or BS in the field of education, science, history or related education /experience
• Preferred 6 months or more experience teaching in the classroom, at an outdoor education facility, or other related experience with elementary school aged children.
• Current CPR and First Aid certification (online certification does not apply)*
• Current California Food Handler certification*
• General knowledge of the developmental needs and behavior of 4-6 th grade students
• Ability to conduct skits, songs and/or stories in front of large groups
• Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with others
•Excellent communication skills
• Enjoy the company of people ages 9 to adult
• Love working outdoors—rain or shine
• Creative, fun, and energetic!
• Physically fit
*May be acquired after hire.
Rates start at $16/hour depending on education/ experience. Some meals, but no housing is provided for our naturalist staff. Non-Exempt position.