Naturalist- Part time & On-Call
Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Marin Headlands, Sausalito, CA
Point Bonita YMCA values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to diversify our workforce and seek applications by individuals from all backgrounds, abilities, cultures, orientations, identities, and communities.
Point Bonita YMCA Naturalists are responsible for teaching and maintaining the safety of up to 16 students while exploring themes of ecology, history, community and wellness in the Marin Headlands. Naturalists develop an environmentally-based curriculum that emphasizes environmental and cooperative outdoor activities for students grades K-12 (primarily 4th-6th grade), from a variety of socio-economic, cultural, geographic and educational backgrounds.
The position requires the physical ability to participate in strenuous activities and the knowledge and skill to lead and educate while making learning fun!
Naturalists may also be required to assist with hosting and delivering environmental, historical, community-building and/or wellness programs to conference and retreat groups.
Position is available January 6 through June 20 (with the possibility to apply for summer camp work).
Ability to implement and model excellent risk management and maintain a safe environment for participants. Must be able to work flexible hours, and able to adjust to teacher expectations, and program goals. Must enjoy teamwork, leading groups, performing at campfire programs, and interacting with children and their adult leaders, teachers, and parents.
Preferred skills include ability to speak and/or teach in a second language, experience working with English Language Learners, musical ability, experience with inquiry-based learning and thematic teaching.
• Minimum of 21 years of age required
• A minimum of 12 units of education, natural sciences, recreation or related field. Baccalaureate degree preferred, but not required.
• Knowledge in at least some of the following areas: general ecological concepts, natural and cultural history, geology, team-building, story-telling, social and environmental health.
• The schedule is determined by program needs, including some nights and weekends. Individual programs run 1-5 days ( most programs are 3 days) and Naturalists must be available for the entire program
• Experience working with youth, teens, and adults required.
• Experience using effective teaching techniques with students in any grade K-12
• Some prior curriculum development experience preferred.
• Bilingual Spanish language skills preferred.
• First Aid, CPR, and AED certificates required. Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder preferred.
• Strong verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and to work collaboratively as part of a team.
• Ability to remain calm in challenging situations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the ability to respond swiftly in an emergency situation.
• Ability to adequately observe participants’ activities and enforce safety regulations.
• Position may require, sitting, bending, leaning and kneeling on an occasional basis.
• Position requires the ability to walk on hills and uneven terrain continuously for at least five miles.
• Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds in order to perform essential functions.
• Must have the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
• All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon fingerprint clearance.
To apply please email a cover letter/letter of interest and resume. Positions open until filled. (Please include in your letter if you are interested in summer work as well).
$15- $17.50/hr depending on experience & certifications