Summer Camp Naturalist
Monday, May 25, 2020
San Francisco, CA
About Tree Frog Treks
Tree Frog Treks is a mobile science education company based in San Francisco. We offer a variety of outdoor camps designed to make science fun, connect kids with nature, and exercise imaginations of all ages. We endeavor to help children develop better retention skills, an enthusiasm for learning and a greater appreciation of the wonderful world around us. We use contact with live reptiles and amphibians to excite students about science and draw them into a fun, hands-on curriculum.
Summary of Role
This is a Summer Camp Naturalist position for our Half or Full Day Summer Camps, which are located in three different parks in San Francisco: Golden Gate Park, Mtn Lake Park, and McLaren Park.
Half Day Camp Naturalists will lead groups of 10-12 campers in activities in and around the park. Campers are children 4 and 5 who will be entering PreK or Kindergarten in the fall of 2020. Each group will have two naturalists creating approximately a 1:6 teacher to camper ratio. Naturalists will have freedom within the curriculum to inspire and guide campers into discovery. Half Day Summer Camp runs from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday - Friday. Naturalists will also have the opportunity to work PM Care from 3:00 – 5:00 pm if desired.
Full Day Camp Naturalists will lead groups of 12 campers in activities in and around the parks. Full Day Campers are children who will be entering 1st - 5th grades in the fall of 2020. Each group of campers will have two naturalists creating approximately a 1:6 teacher to camper ratio. Naturalists will have freedom within the curriculum to inspire and guide campers into discovery. Full Day Summer Camp runs from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university, and a background in science, art, or environmental education.
• Teaching experience, preferably in an outdoor setting.
• Must pass TB test and fingerprint clearance through Department of Justice.
• Must be able to maintain constant positive attitude and enthusiasm.
• Implement curricula and activities to meet Tree Frog Treks standards.
• Handle/use scientific supplies and materials in a responsible manner.
• Bring creativity and innovative thinking to the program while also adhering to the structured program model.
• Must be willing to handle live reptiles and amphibians in a respectful and safe manner.
• Interest in nature, passion for working with youth, and desire to promote hands-on, experiential learning is a must!
• Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues.
• Participate in scheduled camp and first aid training.
• Be responsible for adhering to camp schedule and arriving on time to assigned events.
• Behave in a professional manner and adhere to Tree Frog Treks policies and procedures.
IMPORTANT COVID 19 INFORMATION:
Staff are expected to adhere to Tree Frog Treks COVID 19 safety protocol at all times. Staff will be required to wear a mask when working with campers, and will be responsible for maintaining sanitation and disinfection of camp supplies and equipment during the day.
Camp sessions run in three week blocks, with the same kids and teachers being together throughout the three weeks.
Camp Dates: 6/15/20 - 8/14/20
Starting Rate for Full Day Naturalists is $855
Starting Rate for Half Day Naturalists is $665