Full-Time Education Manager
Job Title: Education Manager
Schedule: M-F, 9-5, but with occasional weekend or evening programs; anticipate 40 hours per week.
Office Location: Incline Village, NV (primary service area is Tahoe Basin and Truckee)
Purpose and General Summary of Duties:
The Tahoe Institute for Natural Science (TINS) is a leader in the Tahoe region in applied field research, experiential science education, and natural history programming. To maintain and expand our reach, we are seeking an experienced environmental educator to coordinate and deliver existing in-school and field trip programs, coordinate and lead nature-based summer camps, and develop our education programming and strategy as a whole as the organization grows.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Develop, refine, and most importantly, deliver, in-school and field trip programs for K-12 students, including existing programs and special curricula for various special events.
● Coordinate all TINS science education programs including: marketing and recruitment of schools/classrooms/teachers, scheduling and invoicing programs, and sending out follow-up evaluation emails.
● Understanding of Next Generation Science Standards and curricula development
● Coordinate all aspects of summer camps including scheduling, development, and delivery
● Identify and pursue funding sources such as grants, PTAs, etc. for education programs
● Recruit and coordinate education interns and volunteers
● Represent TINS at public events such as Earth Day, Native Species Day, Truckee River Day, etc.
● Partner Relations – establish and maintain working relationships with appropriate agencies in the Tahoe region and beyond
● Support outreach, citizen science, and research programming as needed
● Other duties as assigned
Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
● Experience working with youth or the general public in the field of natural history/scientific outreach; ≥ 3 years is preferred. Deeply enjoys educating children about the natural history that surrounds them
● Effective oral and written communicator with well-developed interpersonal communication skills
● Background in education, natural resources, environmental studies, or related field; Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in one of these fields is preferred
● Friendly, personable, and outgoing
● Self-starter; ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
● Ability to produce high quality work with accuracy and attention to detail
● Well-organized with an ability to keep track of multiple concurrent projects, occasionally shifting priorities, and varied time scales
● Sierra Nevada natural history knowledge or a demonstrated ability and desire to learn natural history quickly and independently
● Must pass a background check
This full-time, non-exempt position is a combination of in-school, field, and office duties.
In-school duties include conducting science education programs at schools in the Tahoe Basin, Truckee, and other nearby communities. Field duties include field trips for schools and summer camps, and also nature outings and citizen science programs for the public and assisting field research. While typical hours are 9am-5pm Monday through Friday, this position requires occasional evening or weekend work instead. This position requires physical abilities to lift heavy materials (35 pounds) and hike long distances with students.
Currently, staff is dividing its time between home offices and our office space in the Parasol Tahoe Community Foundation in Incline Village. The position is based out of our office, but often working from home is more efficient. We follow all COVID-19 safety measures and adapt these measures when needed. For example, many of the meetings and events still are being held via video-call (Zoom, Google Meets, etc.).
TINS is a small team, and our approach allows us to be nimble and take ownership of new projects. There are periods when we are working with many concurrent deadlines – this can be both exciting and stressful.
Compensation: Salaried position, $44-48K to start, DOE. We do not presently offer insurance benefits, but we do have a Sect. 125 policy that allows for pre-tax insurance premium and flex health deductions. We also offer a SIMPLE IRA plan matching employee contributions up to 3%.
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible.
To Apply: Please send cover letter, curriculum vitae, three references, and an example of your writing to Will Richardson via email: email@example.com
Closing Date: Until filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To learn more about TINS: www.tinsweb.org